Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Peaches...peaches....peaches....

Peaches...peaches....peaches....


It's that time of year again...fresh juicy peaches. We normally can peaches but this year I wanted to try to freezing them. So far it has been a success. The benefit to freezing vs. canning is enjoying the texture of having fresh peach pie and peaches 'n cream this winter!

 This is how I did it. Dip the peaches into boiling water for about 45 seconds. Then transferred them to a sink full of ice water. Once they cool, peel and sliced them in half and disposed of the pit. I let the halves soak in a very lite syrup to avoid them turning brown. The syrup mixture was a 3:1 mixture of water and sugar....(i.e. 3 cups boiling water + 1 cup sugar) plus a splash of lemon juice!

Divided the peaches into freezer ziplock bags. Be sure the syrup covers the peaches to prevent freezer burnt peaches and get all the air out of the bags like so:...

I filled each of my bags with about 5-6 cups of peaches. This is the perfect amount for my cobbler, kuchen, and pie recipe.

I hope you have enjoyed my first time freezing peaches adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment