Sunday, November 13, 2011

Calico Beans

It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is almost here and the stores full of Christmas decor already! I'm not sure if we are a little behind this year or if we start preparing for the holiday's earlier each year!  We brought the cows home and worked them yesterday. It's a given that the ladies of the farm provide a hearty meal for the help. This year I made the beans and coleslaw. Have I ever mentioned how much I love crock pots? Well if I haven't I LOVE CROCK POTS! I was able to put the beans in and head out the barn to help! I will add that it doesn't matter how good of a camera or how good a  bean recipe tastes, photos never do justice. Cheyenne requested that I post the recipe on my blog so here it goes....

Calico Beans
1 lb hamburger
1/2 lb bacon
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup ketchup
1 T salt
1 T mustard
1 T vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 can pork and beans
1 can butter beans
1 can kidney beans

Directions: Fry the first three ingredients in a frying pan. Then add all the ingredients to a baking dish. Bake at 250 for 1 hour.   ***In a programmable crock pot cook on high for 4 hours. Stirring occasionally.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. I generally double the recipe to ensure we have left overs! This recipe has been borrowed from my lovely sister, Brandee!

No comments:

Post a Comment