Monday, July 25, 2011

Bye-Bye Wallpaper

After mowing the lawn Saturday it was time to work in the house. Since I'll be moving to the farm in September we've been working in the house as much as we can before I move in! Nothing is worse than painting around extra furniture.

One of my favorite things about the house we will be living in is: It's not a "cookie cutter" home it is older and has a lot of character. It is going to take some time and effort but we are excited to make some changes to make it feel more like "our home!" Today's project was removing wallpaper in the dining room. 
I peeled the top layer off which left paper backing and glue stuck to the wall. I figured paper should absorb water right? and eventually pull off...WRONG! Well maybe it does but I did'nt have the patience to sit and wait. So...I set to the shop in seach for window washer fluid......we were out, that's when I found my wallpaper destroying friend: Windex. I absolutely couldn't believe how easy taking wallpaper off could be without buying a steamer or special products for removal.

Here is what I did: Peal top layer of wallpaper off. Spray windex on generously, let set for a few minutes or until you see the paper bubbling. It completely releases the paper and nearly melts the glue right off. Once all the paper was removed wash the wall with warm water to get any extra glue cleaned off. The wall is now ready for to be painted! This worked wonders for me!
These pictures show how the wallpaper released in large sheets!










Ta-da...this picture doesn't show the color too well but under that wallpaper was a trendy light green color that has been hidden for years it went out of style and is back in style!!

No comments:

Post a Comment