Saturday, July 9, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

 I have a serious love for baking and cupcakes! I wasn't sure if I wanted to share cupcake recipes on my blog just in case I could someday have a cupcake business of my own! A girl can dream....right! My coworker's daughter is celebrating her 17th birthday this week and she was looking for some red velvet cupcakes. Of course I was more than happy to whip some up for her.  Since I have not developed my own recipe for "Red Velvet" yet I borrowed this recipe from allrecipes!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk

1 (1 ounce) bottle McCormick Red Food Color
 2 teaspoons vanilla


Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (16 ounce) bag powdered sugar

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
Beat butter and sugar in stand mixer on a medium speed for 5 minutes or until fluffy. Eat in eggs one at a time. Mix in sour cream, milk, food color and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture while mixing on a low speed just until it's blended. Do not over beat. 

Spoon batter into cupcake liners, 2/3 full.
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack completely prior to frosting.

Frosting Directions: Beat softened cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth. You are ready to frost your cupcakes!

I piped frosting onto some of the cupcakes and added red glitter sprinkles. For her 17th birthday I want to do something a little different.... I (for the 1st time) melted milk chocolate chips in a piping bag and wrote "17" on a piece of wax paper over...and over...and over! Once they dried I was able to pick them up and stick them on top of the cupcakes! I am impressed with out easy this is and will be using it more.

After looking at my first sheet of 17's I learned a little trick to make letters/numbers/shapes more consistant. Print them out on a computer or write them on paper, then place the wax paper on top of the sheet and go with it!
  
  
 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment